As someone who is a fan of small weekend projects, I often find myself buying DIY supplies and materials. Not too long ago, I decided to replace the flooring of my deck with thin stone veneer I have always admired the way in looks so natural and I also love the fact that it can last for years without suffering any damage. As I was buying a large quantity, I knew that I couldnt get enough from the shop where I usually buy my supplies. I contemplated going to a quarry not too far from my home and I was glad that I did because it turned out that buying stone veneer directly from the quarry has some advantages.
1. It turned out to be much cheaper that I expected. When I asked the quarry operator why, he explained that the risen why the price of stone veneers has been rising every year is because there is a middle man most of the time, sometimes even two. By the time veneers get to my local shop they have been handled by the guy who got them from the ground and then maybe one or two more people and everything has to make some money. Buying from the quarry is so much cheaper because you avoid the middlemen.
2. I was glad I went to the quarry because I was able to choose the color of stone that I wanted. It turns out that there are so many different colors when it comes to stone veneers. I was able to choose a color that goes well with the rest of the exterior of my house. Did you know that you can also choose thick stone veneers if that is what you prefer? Like I said, going to the quarry was a great idea.
3. I was able to get the cut of stone that I wanted. I hadnt thought about this to begin with. I was simply going to buy stone veneers and install them in my deck. It turned out, as the quarry operator explained, that different projects look good with different styles of stone. I was able to find a cut that was going to look beautiful for my project.
4. Another advantage of buying straight from the quarry is the fact that I was able to choose strong stones. When thin stone veneers are handled by middlemen they dont always get to their intended destination in good condition. They can develop cracks which you will only find in the process of doing your project. Buying from the quarry allowed me to choose only the best and strongest stones.
5. I was able to get my stone veneers cleaned up a little but they didnt lose their natural look. When veneers come out of the ground they are usually a bit rough. Some vendors chip away at some of the edges to give them a better look. Others dont and the one doing the project has to take sometime before they install every stone to make sure that it is looking good. This wasnt going to be a problem for me they were willing to clean the stones at the quarry.
6. Initially, I was worried about how I would transport the stones. It turns out I didnt have to be. The quarry has a truck that they use to transport stones for people who dont live too far. Those who buy stones from them but live beyond a certain radius can pay a small fee and their thin stone veneers will be shipped for them.
If you have a project coming up soon you should seriously consider buying your thin stone veneers directly from a quarry.